jueves, 12 de agosto de 2010

More Movies Like Inception ASAP!

"Article first published as "More Movies Like Inception ASAP!" on Blogcritics.org."

A few weeks ago, I went to see Christopher Nolan's Inception for the first time and I left the cinema marveling at what I had just seen. Thus far this year, I can say that unless a real masterpiece gets released before the year finishes, Inception is the movie of 2010.

We need more movies like Inception. Hollywood should bet on more original and intelligent scripts rather than wanting too many remakes or second, third or whatever the number installments. As a cinema lover, I also enjoy this kind of movie but a story just like the one Nolan has written is really refreshing and attractive to the audience. I really don't know if the studio would had given the okay to Nolan if he hadn't already done The Dark Knight, especially in the current recession we are in, where every single dollar must be spent wisely. Thanks to Nolan's rebirth of the Batman saga, the studio knew this was a high quality project that wouldn't lead to box office failure. Smart choice, indeed!

I'm sure there are lots of original, enigmatic, and brainy stories waiting to be told on the big screen but for some reason, they're kept closed in a drawer of a random studio office awaiting their lucky day. I know it is a bad time to take risks but I think Hollywood should give more opportunity to these kind of scripts, to young (or not), talented, but unknown scriptwriters with bright ideas that could lead to a restructuring of our present day cinema where franchises, comic adaptations, and remakes are our daily diet. This would be good news for people like me who enjoy easy entertainment but would also like to feel intellectually challenged.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario